Friday, March 13, 2009

And So, Tutoring Begins

When you start something new, there are always unexpected surprises. This week we started tutoring, finally. The very first day I gathered the first 2 tutors and their 4 tutees in the conference room. I was unprepared for how heart-warming that meeting would be. My male tutors are over 6 feet tall, quiet, smart high schoolers. The tutees are wide-eyed, innocent, smart 4th and 5th graders. When the tutors talked about why they were tutoring (they love math, love kids, they were these kids) there was the sweetest moment. Everybody just kind of sat there, smiling. And yesterday as one of my tallest tutors left the building, 2 of his tutees yelled out, "Bye John!." He grinned from ear-to-ear. I forgot how much the tutoring would mean to the tutors and tutees beyond learning math. What a wonderful, unexpected surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment